Friday, May 1, 2009

Meaning behind music; Perceptions Of The Sound

Music has been an influential part of human history since the prehistoric era, yet what does any of it mean to us as people? We all have different perceptions of music, we all have different tastes, and we all listen to music for different reasons.

For me personally, being a musician and playing various instruments, music is a huge passion of mine, and by taking the life experiences I've gone through, I am able to creatively express my feelings. Also, being an active listener in music I can relate to only helps circulate that passion, Listening to music= inspiration....Inspiration=my creative unique music, which can then be passed on to listeners like myself, and maybe be used inspire them.

However, not everyone is like me. I'm sure you might have known someone in your life who just simply only listens to music casually, and even some people that don't listen to music at all. Me, being so passionate about music, I find it hard to believe that people can actually go through their life and not care about listening to music.

When you listen to your favorite artists, what are you searching for? Strong lyrical content? Or maybe melodic content? The production of the recording, or the genuine feeling the song emits?

I'm curious to see in the next few years how the music scene changes. It seems that a lot of music is just getting completely over-produced and has no real genuine emotion to it anymore.

1 comment:

  1. Great Blog man. I'm very much like you. I love music. Its my passion. I listen to music every waking moment.I've been a bassist for 4 years and a guitarist and drummer for 2. I've written a few compositions that I'm fairly proud of, but I feel like I'm not expressing myself as well as I'd like. One thing I haven't been able to do is come up with vocal melodies and lyrics that I feel fit the songs. As you said in another entry its probably partly cause I do worry what people will think of it, because I do want it to strike a chord with people, just like my favorite artist strike a chord with me. If you don't mind do you think you could email me some tips and tricks to ddfan24@yahoo.com I'd be very grateful. I guess what I would like is a structure or some guidelines of how you write your songs. I feel like if I ever get my thoughts and structures in order I'll be set and the possibilities are truly endless, but at this point I feel about a bit confined. Again fantastic writing you've done and you sound like you very committed to the music. All the best.
    -Ryan Phillips

    ReplyDelete